Thursday, January 3, 2013

Our Ultrasound

The day finally came for Brett and I to have our ultrasound to (hopefully) discover what this little baby was. I really had a feeling deep down that they wouldn't be able to tell. Maybe it's because I didn't want to be disappointed, or maybe it's because deep down I really didn't want to know. I'm still figuring that out. But regardless, the time was here and we were PUMPED.

They tell you to drink 44 oz of water before you come in because it's best to have a full bladder during an ultrasound. I cooperated and drank water, but I also threw in a can of Mountain Dew. Whew, hadn't drank regular Mountain Dew in years...that stuff has quite the kick! But I wanted to drink enough caffeine that our baby would bounce around in there in hopes we'd have a better view of it's booty. When we arrived, we checked in and had a seat in the waiting room. Within a few minutes, we were told there was some kind of medical emergency and that it would likely be a while until we'd be able to go back for our appointment. Neither of us minded, and I quietly said a prayer for that situation, that God would be glorified and that whoever was involved would experience His peace and power. 

I was proud of my attitude. Until about 10 minutes passed. Holy cow, this girl had to pee. I was told that if I really had to go, I could go just for a little bit but that I'd have to stop myself from going all the way. WHAT!? Who can do that?? Twenty five minutes later, I learned that this girl could. I was desperate; it was ridiculous. 

After about 40 minutes of waiting, we were finally called back. Our ultrasound tech was so sweet. She told us she was the only one on that floor at the time, so she would get paged throughout our appointment. Brett and I both told her we were in no rush, and that she could do whatever she had to do. She asked us right away if we wanted to know the gender. We both replied that we would, but I followed my answer up with, "But I know it's not always possible, so if it's not then that's fine, it will just be a surprise!" She laughed and said, "Wow not a lot of moms say that in here. I'll do my best to find out!"

She showed us our baby right away, and we got to see the baby's beating heart, little mouth and nose, and it's arms moving around. It was so funny to watch...as much as it was wiggling, I couldn't feel a thing. I hear that towards the end, you can feel every little movement...I can't imagine what that will feel like! Anyway, she then went straight for the booty to see what our baby was. After a few moments, she sighed and said, "Ugh, it's not cooperating!" We looked at the screen and saw it's little legs, then the long string-like umbilical cord. She said she would continue to do measurements, then try again. Just then she got paged so she had to leave, but she let me go to the bathroom then encouraged me to walk around to get this kid moving. 

I went to the restroom then did jumping jacks, then laid back down on the table and poked and prodded at my belly until she came back in. "Let's try again, " she said. Lo and behold, the kid moved, but was in an even more modest position than  before. Shoot. The measurements continued, as well as the pages our tech received. Every time she left the room, I would move around so much in hopes that this baby would make it all so clear.

Finally, after we saw the baby's stomach and bladder, kidneys, spine, brain, and face, it happened. The tech's face lit up and she said, "Look!" Oh, sweet baby of mine, you are a BOY!

w e.    a r e.    t h r i l l e d.

No comments:

Post a Comment