Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Happy Six Years!

Six years ago today I was just a 19 year old girl starting a new job. Little did I know it would become one of the greatest blessings in my life. The art of cutting and coloring hair makes my heart pump fast and the satisfaction of a client makes me smile. On top of that, I've been blessed with clients I've been able to develop relationships with. Perfect strangers have become dear friends. Not a lot of people have the opportunity to do what they love AND get paid for it. A day hasn't gone by when I haven't been grateful for this job.

In just 26 days, I'm due to have my first child. WHEN DID I GROW UP!? That, I'll never know. What I do know is how incredibly precious life is, and how humbled I am that God would call Brett and I to raise this child. What an honor and a privilege to be trusted with one of God's children! 

Brett and I have made the decision that when I go back to work, I will only go back part time. This was an easy decision to make in some ways, and a difficult one to make in other ways. The obvious pro's are that I'll get to spend more time with our baby...I'll be his main influence and I won't miss milestones in his life. I'll be able to invest in his life and become well aware of who he is and how I can point him to Jesus. Working part time will also allow me to get out of the house now and then and enjoy adult conversation! I will be able to bring in some kind of income and still do what I love to do.

The con's are that I won't make as much money. Not in an greedy/selfish way, but I've built my business from the ground up and poured my heart into it these last six years. It's tough to turn new clients away and it's difficult knowing I won't be able to be quite as accommodating and flexible. I also won't be able to keep near as many clients as what I've had in the past. At one point two years ago, I think I added up that I had about 200+ clients that consistently came to me. I'll be going from working four days a week to about one and half, sometimes two a week. That's sooooo many people I won't be able to enjoy talking to and doing their hair. It really does make me sad to think about. It's been a difficult transition mentally, and I haven't even had to turn people away yet. I can't imagine how hard it will be come July when people are calling for appointments and I can't get them in.

All that being said, we have prayed about this and feel confident that this is the best decision for our family. This is a new season of life that will require us to make changes to adjust. It won't be easy, but I hear all it takes is one look at our baby's sweet face for me to be 110% confident that we've made the best decision. I'm so thankful for our families and friends and my sweet clients who have been so supportive and understanding and excited for us to enter this new chapter. Your encouragement and prayers are coveted and appreciated far more than you know.

That being said, on this "six year anniversary," I just want to thank each and every one of my clients from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for your business and your referrals, yes. But more importantly, thank you for the laughs and the cries and the greatest conversations. Thank you for opening up to me and allowing me to be a part of your life. Thank you for your loyalty to me. I hope that I've been able to impact your life the way you've impacted mine...that you've left my chair feeling encouraged and refreshed. Whether or not you've realized this, you've been prayed for often by me (especially when I'm drying your hair and we don't talk...I pray for you then!) Whether or not our schedules will allow me to continue doing your hair, you've been more than just a client. You've become dear friends I'll cherish forever. Thanks so much for your understanding and support as I enter this new season of life when I become a MOM! Oh, sweet goodness, this is going to get interesting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment